Web yuh seh! Jamaica part of the Global Meatless Monday Movement. In Jamaica there’s a growing awareness of the benefits of more vegetables and reduced meat diet on health. To find out more about Jamaica’s Meatless Monday community visit their Facebook page. So start your week without meat!
Callaloo Lasagna With Coconut Béchamel Sauce
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced or pressed)
- 2 cups of Chopped Onion
- 2 lbs Callaloo (rinsed, stemmed and chopped)
- 1lb Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 2 cups Parmesan Cheese (freshly grated)
- 3 cups Mozzarella Cheese (grated)
- 1 (16 oz) package lasagna noodles
Coconut Béchamel Sauce
- 5 cups Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 cup Unbleached Flour
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Grated Nutmeg
- Heat the coconut milk until very warm, but do not bring to a boil. In another pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Do not let the butter brown! Whisk in flour and cook for three or four minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add the hot coconut milk. Continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened. Add the freshly grated nutmeg.
- Sauté the onions in oil until they’re translucent
- Stir in the callaloo season with salt and pepper. Cook until the callaloo wilts, then remove it from the heat and set aside.
- Mix the ricotta, the garlic, the egg and the Parmesan cheese together. Cook the lasagna until al dente (about five minutes). Oil a 9 X 13 casserole dish.
- Layer the ingredients as follows:
- 2 cups of sauce
- 1/3 of the noodles
- 1/2 of the callaloo
- 2 cups of mozzarella
Repeat until all ingredients are used.
Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top. Cover the casserole and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Uncover the casserole and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
This recipe feeds six, serve with a salad and melon fruit of your choice.
Let me know how you enjoy your Callaloo Lasagna?