Web yuh seh! Jamaica part of the Global Meatless Monday Movement. In Jamaica there’s a growing awareness of the benefits of more vegetables and reduced meat diet on health. To find out more about Jamaica’s Meatless Monday community visit their Facebook page. So start your week without meat!
Start your Mondays of with a bang! Make ahead, Ackee fritters can be your go to meal on a busy morning, or served up with porridge for easier, pleasurable mornings.
- 2 cups white Whole Wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) white pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small plum tomato, diced
- 1 large scallion
- 1 small scotch bonnet pepper(optional)
- 1 can Ackee, drained and crushed
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup Canola Oil
- In a large bowl sift together flour, salt and white pepper.
- Add onions, diced tomatoes, crushed Ackee and mix well.
- Gradually add just enough milk to make a batter that drops easily from a spoon.
- In a large skillet heat Canola Oil. Drop batter using a tablespoon; fry for 5 minutes, turning on both sides until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.