6 Benefits of Jamaican Chicken Foot Soup
Transport yourself home today, with a big bowl of soup. On days like today, I no longer regulate soup to Saturdays. I hanker for the warmth of a bowl of soup from my homeland. There are so many choices from Vegetable to Pumpkin, Chicken, Beef, Pepperpot, Fish Tea and so on and so on. But today, because of the cold and my sniffles we will focus on Chicken.
Used in Ancient Times The idea that chicken soup, often dubbed the “Jewish penicillin,” has medicinal effects dates back to ancient times, but modern scientists have never fully deciphered the reasons.
Some doctors believe that the soup’s benefits are mainly psychosomatic, that it’s the ultimate comfort food. Others say the steaming hot soup clears congestion and provides the body with necessary hydration to flush out viral bugs
It’s important to make chicken soup using either a whole chicken or pieces of chicken that contain bones. Not only does this improve the flavor, but the bones contain nutrients such as B vitamins, calcium, magnesium and zinc.
The Benefits of Chicken Soup
- Helps heal and seal your gut, and promotes healthy digestion: The gelatin found in bone broth is a hydrophilic colloid. It attracts and holds liquids, including digestive juices, thereby supporting proper digestion.
- Inhibits infection caused by cold and flu viruses, etc.: A study published over a decade ago found that chicken soup indeed has medicinal qualities, significantly mitigating infection
- Reduces joint pain and inflammation, courtesy of chondroitin sulphates, glucosamine, and other compounds extracted from the boiled down cartilage
- Fights inflammation: Amino acids such as glycine, proline, and arginine all have anti-inflammatory effects. Arginine, for example, has been found to be particularly beneficial for the treatment of sepsis5 (whole-body inflammation).Glycine also has calming effects, which may help you sleep better
- Promotes strong, healthy bones: As mentioned above, bone broth contains high amounts of calcium, magnesium, and other nutrients that play an important role in healthy bone formation
- Promotes healthy hair and nail growth, thanks to the gelatin in the broth
So make a delicious pot of Jamaican Chicken Foot Soup. The requirements are minimal – chicken foot, dumplings, a few easy to find vegetables and seasonings. Jamaican Chicken Foot Soup usually contains some pumpkin (calbaza squash) and some type of ground provision like white or yellow yam,and or coco(eddeos). If you cannot find Jamaican pumpkin (calbaza squash) where you are, a packet of Grace pumpkin soup mix can be substituted.
Does it take you home to a time of your youth? Will you be making a pot today?